Contact Us

The MAP for BPS Exam Schools

Fast Facts About the NWEA MAP

  • The NWEA MAP test is a computer-based adaptive test used by both public and private schools to assess student progress over years of schooling.
  • Reading, language usage, and math skills are tested.
  • Students typically take the MAP several times throughout each school year. Some schools use the assessment as part of their admissions criteria.
  • The MAP is computer adaptive, making it hard to predict what kinds of questions a student will get on test day. If a student answers a question correctly, their next question will be more challenging; if they answer incorrectly, their next question will be easier.

The MAP for BPS Exam Schools

Students who wish to attend a Boston Public Schools exam school as a 7th, 9th, or 10th grader for the 2024-2025 school year must take the MAP test. Their results will be 30% of their admissions score.

BPS will give students two opportunities to take the MAP: once in June 2023, and once in December 2023. They will consider a student’s higher scores from both tests during the admissions process. To learn more about this timeline and registration, visit BPS’ website here.

Another (very important) part of the admissions puzzle is GPA. In order to be eligible to apply to a BPS exam school, students must have at least a B average in math, English language arts, social studies, and science. In addition, while 30% of a student’s admissions score is their MAP scores, the other 70% is their GPA. Learn more about which quarter grades count here.

Preparation for the MAP

Nurturing Wisdom has extensive experience preparing students for the MAP! For years, we successfully prepped hundreds of students to take the MAP as part of the admissions process to Chicago Public Schools Selective Enrollment High Schools (the MAP is no longer used for this purpose).

Our tutoring focuses on building skills for the test’s content and format. A diagnostic pre-test helps us tailor lessons to each student’s specific needs, and tutors consistently adjust instruction based on progress. Independent work and additional practice tests provide students with a variety of ways to apply what they’re learning.

It's important that students are comfortable with the structure of the MAP test so that they feel prepared and confident for test day. Since MAP is taken on the computer, all in-session practice questions and homework are also done on the computer. Additionally, our tutors teach students how to answer various types of questions, effectively use scratch paper, and understand how the adaptive exam progresses.

How to Get Started

All MAP students start by taking a pre-test. Our graders will hand-score the test and give you an analysis with personalized feedback and recommended areas of focus. We'll also put together a tutoring timeline outlining how much tutoring we recommend and goal scores. The pre-test, test analysis, and plan are free!

Contact us today to get a free pre-test or sign up for one of our proctored tests.

Why Nurturing Wisdom

Nurturing Wisdom's one-on-one tutoring goes beyond just helping your child get a great score. With a strong tutor match, your child will look forward to tutoring sessions, follow through on independent work, and become a more confident learner.

We're here to support parents as well! Your tutoring director will help you navigate through the MAP testing process by putting together an optimal timeline, keeping you posted on progress, reminding you of important deadlines, and answering any questions you have along the way. Give us a call to learn more!