At Nurturing Wisdom, we have over a decade of experience helping students write captivating college application essays that help them get into their top-choice schools! Our tutoring focuses on helping students present their personality, talents, and values in a way that will make them stand out. We support students with all aspects of the essay writing process, from brainstorming and topic choice to polishing and revising.
Whether your child needs help with every essay from start to finish, or just a session or two to polish their pre-written essays, we're here to help!
Depending on their needs, our students may work on:
- Brainstorming and Topic Choice: For many students, getting started is the hardest part of the essay process! Our tutors will help your child choose experiences to write about and help them frame those experiences for colleges.
- Revising Essays: The bulk of tutoring is spent revising and improving a student's essays. During this process, we work on improving essays by adding rich detail, finding a unique tone, using humor, and more!
- Writing Tutoring: For students who are weak or reluctant writers, we can also offer tutoring on any writing skill, from grammar to sentence structure to paragraph organization.
- School Research: Many colleges require supplemental essays that explain why a student wants to attend that school. Our tutors can guide students through their college research so that students are able to write a unique and personal response to those essay questions.
- Final Editing: Our final step of the essay writing process is to complete a detailed final edit to ensure the essays are polished and free of grammar and punctuation errors.
The College Application Essay Process
New to the college application essay process? Here's what to expect:
- Common Application Essay: Almost all students will apply to a school that uses the Common Application. The common application requires that students write one essay that goes to every school that is part of the Common Application. As you can imagine, this essay is quite important and often the first one we focus on in tutoring! The Common Application essay prompt options stay largely the same from year to year. If revisions are made, the new prompts typically are released in the winter or spring, which means students can start working on this essay in the summer before their senior year!
- Supplemental Essays: Many colleges also require supplemental essays or writing prompts specific to their school. These can range from short, one sentence writing prompts to full-length essays. Supplemental essay prompts are typically released in August or September.
- College Specific Essays: Colleges that do not accept the common application frequently require one or more essays for admission into their school. These essay prompts are typically released in August or September.
A Team Approach
When you work with a Nurturing Wisdom tutor, you get a whole team of people working to help your child be successful! From day one, your tutoring director will place your child with a tutor who they connect with. This is incredibly important for work on the college application essays, which can be highly personal. Each tutor is also supported by a coaching and curriculum team who, if requested, can regularly give additional feedback on your child's essays.
Amount of Tutoring
Since each student's needs are so different depending on their writing ability and the number of essays their colleges require, we recommend different amounts of tutoring for each student. We've had students who need only a bit of help revising complete only two or three sessions. We've had other students spend around eight sessions working on all aspects of writing two or three key essays. And we've had other students who have a large number of supplemental essays complete fifteen or more sessions. Whatever your child's needs, we're here to help! Contact one of our directors today to put together a plan for your child!
When to Get Started
We're happy to work with students at any point on their essays! Many students begin working on their Common Application essay the summer before their senior year, and their supplemental essays in the late summer or early fall. To get started, contact us today!