The HSPT is a test used for admittance into Catholic high schools like Fenwick, St. Ignatius, and Benet in Chicago and St. Ignatius in San Francisco. These selective schools usually look for HSPT scores at or above the 85th percentile. To reach this goal, we recommend students start prepping for the HSPT the summer before 8th grade.
What makes this test tough?
- Picky grammar rules and vocabulary words are tested.
- No calculators are allowed so computation skills must be excellent.
- There are a lot of word problems.
- A thorough understanding of proportions, percents, and basic geometry is needed.
- Cognitive skills, such as patterns of logic, numbers, and analogies are tested.
- Timing is very tight!